Monday 26 December 2016

On the 2nd day of Xmas.......

On the 2nd day of Xmas Santa sent to me 2 Bewick Swans and a Partridge in the Obs field....
Magic Mark and I had arranged to meet for a Boxing Day sea watch. I nearly didn't go when i saw the conditions, bright sun and a blasting westerly, and Mark didn't make it, probably still intoxicated.
I noticed with my bins two white birds heading south and expected them to be my first Gannets of the morning,  i got my scope on them and saw they were Swans, zoomed on the heads and got the detail on the bills and nearly fell off my seat...Bewicks
I'm quite practised and getting my scope off the tripod and my camera on so tried for some video but the viewfinder on my P900 is not the same as my Swaro 95mm zoom lens and at first i couldn't find the birds and when i eventually did it was way too late....Ive included the video but its crap so ive also added some better video from Boldon Flats a while ago
This is what i saw in order of appearance

Monday 26th December 08.05-10.05 W4 cloud 1/8

Black h Gull 1n 6s
Common Gull 17s
Eider 5s
Goosander 1s
Bewick Swan 2s ad 08.40
Golden Plover 70s
Shag 1s
Lapwing 13s
Red th Diver 1n 2s
Great Northern Diver 1n