Thursday 26 October 2017

Better late than never.....

Great Northern Diver and Peregrine were my best birds on this mornings sea watch but that's not the end of today's sightings..Hawfinch are everywhere just now raining from the sky's a national influx, but south of us. Today's watch was hard at times three highlights but not much in between. I've been listening for Hawfinch after Damian Money had so many and posted a link to the flight call so to say i was disappointed when i found my bird was a Reed Bunting is a bit of an understatement. I must confess my phone is on silent apart from calls otherwise my sea watch is constantly interrupted, but as i drove home Magic Mark messaged about the local invasion but i was tired and hungry and went home. I sent a text to Saint Mark, what do you think should i go back..he said wait till tomorrow so i got in the car and headed back to the Obs....
I was sitting on the Obs mound Pink Floyd and Michael arrived and we all had a good moan about the lack of Hawfinch, the guys headed off and i scanned. I picked up my Hawfinch flying in from the north it landed in a tree top. I rang the guys and as we spoke the Hawfinch flew and landed in a small tree by the viewing screen and luckily right next to them. When soon after a Great Spotted Woodpecker landed in front of me i was in heaven, at that time Hawfinch, Great Spot, Mistle Thrush and Long tailed Tit were all  about and all Obs Mega's.

Thursday 26th October 07.30-10.30 W2 6/8

Common Gull 3n 33s
Black h Gull 29n 72s
Meadow Pipit 10s
Red th Diver 6n 7s
Redpoll 5s
Cormorant 11s
Eider 1n 4s
Common Scoter 18n 6s
Goosander 1s
Turnstone 16s
Lapwing 38s
Great Northern Diver 1s
Gannet 50n 2s
Red br Merganser 2n
Pink-footed Goose 90n
Golden Plover 120n
Peregrine Falcon 1n ad
Later
Hawfinch 1s
Great spotted Woodpecker 1n